Some poisonous items for dogs and cats

There are several foods that can be toxic to dogs and cats that are around in large quantities, especially at Christmas. Here are some examples:

Chocolate: chocolate contains theobromine, which is very poisonous. Theobromine is contained in the cocoa solid component of the chocolate. This means that the darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is. Milk chocolate is relatively safe and, depending on how much is eaten, treatment is rarely required. When dark chocolate is eaten, treatment should ALWAYS be undertaken as quickly as possible. Please call us as soon as you can.

Grapes, raisins, sultanas, etc: all members of the grape family are poisonous. The lethal dose for these foods is not consistent between animals - some need only a few to be very ill and some can eat a whole bunch without any ill effects whatsoever. Please call for further advice.

Antifreeze: antifreeze has a very sweet taste and is almost irresistable to animals, especially cats. Unfortunately it causes very rapid and irreversable damage to the kidneys. If treatment is initiated early then it is possible to save your pet.

email:                                            © David Gardner-Roberts 2011